Search This Blog

Friday, July 9, 2010

Thrifty Mint Chip Ice Cream

National Ice Cream Month - Day 5


For todays post I made a trip down to the local Rite Aid where they still have a Thrifty Ice Cream Scoop Counter. Thrifty brings back my earliest memory of eating ice cream back when I was just a kid and didn't know the difference between Sorbet, Gelato, and Super Premium Ice Cream. The only thing I cared about was that  I was going to get some sweet and delicious ice cream. What more can a kid want?

For those of  you who don't know about Thrifty Ice Cream it use to be part of Thrifty Drug Stores that was later acquired by Pay Less Drugs and now they are a part of Rite Aid. I remember single scoops of ice cream being only a quarter and that was probably why their ice cream so popular and accessible. One of the unique things about eating hand scooped Thrifty ice cream is the way it is served.


The Rite Aid clerks use a special cylinder ice cream gun that they just dip down into the ice cream counter and and then they squeeze the scoop onto your cone or cup. Not your traditional ice cream scoop. I think it makes licking the ice cream easier.

No matter what flavor combination I have made or tried Mint Chip will always be my favorite. I just can't get enough of that cool minty ice cream with pieces of dark chocolate melting your mouth.


Do you have a Thrifty's ice cream memory that you would like to share?

3 comments:

Gastronomer said...

What a coincidence! I introduced Vern to the joys of Thrifty ice cream this weekend. It cost 99 cents a scoop because there was a sale. In fact, we signed up for a Rite Aid card just to get the discount ;-) We also chose mint chip, although the cookies and cream was tempting too.

Daydreamer Desserts said...

Nice! I enjoyed a yummy scoop of Thrifty's Cookies and Cream Ice Cream during my recent trip to Mexico. I was shocked to even find one there...

Jamie said...

It's my favorite ice cream of all time. I won't even bother eating the higher end brand of mint and chip, it's just not the same!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Copyright

All photography and written text on all our sites are Copyright of Triple Scoop Desserts ©2007-2018, unless otherwise noted. Material may not be duplicated, published or re-written without permission. All rights reserved